19 responses

1. Dennis
    December 3, 2008

Not sure what you mean by “distasteful”here but, the luggage rack is due to the fact he does not want to lay the deer inside the vehicle. Not only is that the way they are transported in TX, but all over the United States. Looks like there are 2 deer on the hitch-haul and probably 2 hunters in the vehicle. If the deer were harvested legally, then I am not sure about the oddity you are referring to? the purpose of quartering the game is usually when you are in the field and have to get the animal back to the base camp (on foot)or if you plan on being in the field after that and skin and quarter and ice down in coolers(to then be transported to the processor). Your explanation of “Meat Hunt” is misrepresented and distasteful in itself. Maybe you should try explaining to your 8 year old in a tasteful way about the conservation/management behind the harvesting of any wildlife! By the way…trying to keep up with a vehicle on the interstate and snapping pictures does not seem to be in the best interest of safety for you or your 8 year old daughter! Just my 2 cents.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 13 Thumb down 0

2. TIM
    February 9, 2009

you know that looks like a good way to do it i will have to try it some time i am from Arkansas and we have doen it better ways like i told somebody one day the best thing about deer is when you can eat the jerky sitting in you chair at home watching bambi on your big screen tv and look at the head of the deer hanging on your wall

have a rice day

3. TIM
    February 9, 2009

treehuggers

4. Immel
    March 8, 2009

Im with ya on this one Dennis, thats the way its done down here in TX and if you don’t like it then move to California where you can save all the trees you want. And yes culling or “meat hunt” like the guy said is good for the area. It keeps the population of Deer managable as well as good quality for the other ones to thrive.

5. Ron
    April 19, 2009

I transport my deer this way all the time. I usually cover the animal with a smaller blanket I always keep in back of my SUV. This keeps the treehuggers (while driving their little kids) from giving me a one fingered salute. This year was different. My deer was a 5.5 year or older, 155 class 10 pointer, w/ a 45 inch chest. He stuck out both sides of the blanket. The rack was very visible, but I hid the field-dressed slit with the blanket. There are several stoplights between my hunting area and my home. I got many, many thumbs up on the way home, and one mom who rolled down her window and asked if I was trying to keep the deer warm. Really!!

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

• admin
      June 4, 2009

That’s funny!

6. auB
    January 8, 2010

that is AWESOME i would so do that!!!! its not stupid by any means

• admin
      January 8, 2010

Well, I guess if it was cold enough outside it might be OK. Can you imagine though, if the temperature rose above 45?

7. SAMUEL OWEN
    January 31, 2010

There’s nothing wrong with this. There’s also nothing wrong with hunting for meat. My family has been living off the two doe I harvested around Thanksgiving. That old boy needs to move back up north

8. LadyBowHunter
    November 4, 2010

I don’t suppose the author thought that perhaps the “dufus” driving was handicapped in some way? My uncle is handicapped, but still loves to get into the woods when he can. He has limited ability to man-handle deer, (though he is damn good with his bow/rifle), and he uses a hitch-n-haul to transport his harvest. While you are busy driving distractedly, taking pictures, and giving false descriptions to you child (who would die with you in the fire crash you are inviting) you might want to attempt to get the full story before you start slinging mud and your unwanted, narrow minded opinion around the web…

9. jeffr
    November 8, 2010

well there is gonna be exhaust flavored meat

10. vypr51
    November 14, 2010

Funny enough – this is exactly how I brought my 4×4 Muley home this year – with the only exception being that I had wrapped the head in a mover’s blanket. My 6 year old and I were eating breakfast at BK waiting on the taxidermist to open, and a guy came in and asked: “Is that your deer out there?” I told him it was and he said,”Why do you have it all coveed up like that – I’d be driving up and down main street with that one out for everyone to see.” It was in that moment that I realized how right my decision to move to Montana was.

11. jbbb
    July 18, 2011

There should be a season on treehuggers.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

12. Dylan
    October 11, 2011

I live in SD and we do that all the time. I don’t see what is wrong with it. Ya they should open up a season on tree huggers or move them all to California or something. I shot an elk this year and the son of a gun was sticking out the bed of my pickup. I suppose that guy has a problem with that too. What an idiot.

13. Bettina
    October 13, 2011

Uh….wow. Is there something “wrong” with hunting for meat? Isn’t that the most important point of hunting? For food? Sure, getting meat at the grocery store is easier but for some, it’s getting quite expensive. Between climbing gas and grocery prices, bullets are cheaper than driving to the store to pay for food someone else shot. Mmmmm….Bambi….

14. Lobi
    November 5, 2011

Beautiful picture. Thanks to the op for showing us some successful hunters. I’ll bet you never had meat without steroids and growth hormones. Very healthy, natural, organic food. Bet you also didn’t know that it is mentioned in the Bible that God told us to eat animals.

Leave the pictures up but please edit (totally delete) everything you wrote.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

15. Mini14
    November 6, 2011

Though I quit hunting when a close relative passed away (hunting was never my forte’), I love to target practice and I support the right of those who hunt. I was raised with the philosophy of the thrill/sportsmanship is in the hunt, and you do not kill something just for the sake of killing it…like for a “trophy”!

Venison has fed mankind since we became meat eaters. I have far more respect for someone who goes on a so called “meat hunt”(?) than an alleged hunter who is seeking a trophy buck at a feeding station.

Side note: As a photographer, I’d love to know what you were wearing that covered your scent and visibility so well that a “dumb” doe was close enough for you to poke it with your rifle. Also, why would anyone scare away a doe since does attract bucks; not to mention, when one deer takes off, the others are are usually right behind it.

As others have said, you risked the lives of others with your distracted driving. When your child has questions about hunting, you should answer them, not try to be an amateur paparazzi. Last, but definitely not least, if you indeed have firearms in the house, enroll your 8 year old in a children’s firearm safety class (NRA Eddie Eagle, for example). From your posted photos and comments, you are not the one who should teach her about weaponry.

16. Diana
    November 14, 2011

Damn! I feel like my IQ just dropped a little just by reading that stupid ass story! And I can imagine the conversation going on in that vehicle with your kid….You know that look you get from a child when they are thinking “what the $%*k are you talking about!!! Yea! That’s it! You got it didn’t ya???

17. ZACKARY wolf